English | Español
Our Catholic faith requires us to embark on a continual call to conversion. One steeped in the mystery of Christ and His Church. It is with this pastoral understanding that the Diocese of Fort Worth desires to foster and engage this call to conversion through the development of our new program, St. Junipero Serra Institute (SJSI).
The objective of the St. Junipero Serra Institute (SJSI) is to prepare the laity to be effective witnesses of the Gospel within their parish communities. Through the application of a faithful and effective evangelization and catechetical process rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ the laity will have the opportunity to grow in their faith while at the same time discover new and practical ways of communicating their faith. St. John Paul II reminds of the important mission of placing emphasis on building an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ through sound catechetical instruction. (CT, 5, 20)
One of the main tenets of the institute is to assist the laity in developing and forming a mature faith; one that is rooted in sacred Tradition and sacred Scripture and affirmed through the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Through the various catechetical courses offered by the Institute the lay faithful will have the opportunity to develop a mature faith in Christ and His Church. In concert with the tenets of the Deposit of Faith we look towards the Catechism of the Catholic Church as the seminal tool in assisting the faithful to grow in their daily understanding and application of the Catholic faith.
In keeping with the Church’s mission to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Mt 28:17-20) the (SJSI) will offer a two method approach of teaching the fundamentals of sound evangelization practices in relation to the courses taught and providing the catechetical methodology to complete this task.
Participants are required to:
- Participate and complete all required courses (5) per level to complete each Level 1, 2, or 3 of the Institutes Core Curriculum.
- Write a 2-3-page catechetical reflection on the course taken.
- Complete a final exit requirement per course (as determined by the instructor).
- The Holy Bible Revised Standard Version
2nd Edition; Ignatius Press (2006) San Francisco
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
2nd Edition; USCCB (2002) Washington D.C.
- General Directory for Catechesis
Congregation for the Clergy; Libreria Vaticana Editrice (1997)
- Evangelization In the Modern World
Pope Paul VI
Course Credit Hours
There is a total of five courses required to complete Level 1 (Foundational); five courses to complete Level 2 (Intermediate) and five courses to complete Level 3 (Advanced). The breakdown of credit hours is as follows:
- Each course equals (3) credit hours
- (15) Courses x (3) credit hours: 45 total credit hours
- Completion of a 2-3 pg. catechetical reflection: 20 Credit hours
- Course exit requirement: 20 credit hours
- Total credit hours needed to complete the entire program: 85 credit hours
- We are pleased to announce that the St. Junipero Serra Institute will offer a Summer Course on Evangelization and Catechesis. The course is open to all who are looking to get a taste of what this institute has to offer, those interested in starting level one for the first time (no matter the track), as well as those how joined us late in the 2017 “school” year.
- Registration is open.
- Please see the calendar below for location and time.
Summer Course Calendar
The fee for each course is $75.00.
Note: The fee does not cover required books for each course.
Diocesan Tuition Assistance
There is limited tuition assistance for participants. Tuition assistance will be based on the degree of financial need per person on a first come first serve basis.
Parish Financial Assistance
Parishioners should inquire with their Pastor or Director of Religious Education about tuition assistance to participate in the program.
Length of the Program
The average length of each course level 4 weeks (one session per week on average) during the fall, winter/spring and summer.
Classes in English will be held at St. Joseph's Parish in Arlington on Monday’s from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
Paola Quintero-Araújo, MA
Director of St. Junipero Serra Institute
Marlon De La Torre, MA, MEd.
Department Director of Evangelization and Catechesis
Broken link or website issue?