Scout Leader Catechist Training
The teaching of Jesus Christ and His Church can take place, equally, within and outside the structure of the classroom. Scout Leaders, in a special way, can be instrumental in sharing the Catholic faith through the scouting environment by encouraging the faith walk of youth and by their witness to the love of God. For this reason, the St. Junipero Serra Institute is offering a certification to assist Scout leaders in sharing the Gospel.
Memorandum from Bishop Michael Olson regarding Scouting
Trainings are offered in two parts. Please click on the sections below to expand them and view more information, training dates and registration options.
Part I — One two-hour in-person session that covers the following aspects of the faith.
- Divine Revelation
- Scripture: Salvation History
- Faith & the Trinity
- The Image of God and the Fall
At the conclusion of the session, the attendees will be asked to write on the following two topics and turn them into the Director via email for evaluation:
- Write two paragraphs answering the following: Why did God make you and how does the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church help meet His purpose in creating you?
- Write two paragraphs explaining the Church’s doctrine on Divine Revelation and how this applies to meeting your final end.
All session will be held at the Catholic Center (800 West Loop 820 South) on the following dates:
Part I Session Dates & Times:
- January 28, 2023 (10AM - Noon)
- April 22, 2023 (10AM - Noon)
Part II — One three-hour in-person session that covers the following aspects of the faith.
- The Incarnation
- The Church
- The Four Last Things
- Grace & the Sacraments
- The Moral Life: The Virtues and Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- The Lord’s Prayer
At the conclusion of the session, the attendees will be asked to write on the following three topics and turn them into the Director via email for evaluation:
- Write two paragraphs explaining the purposes of the Incarnation and the reality of Jesus Christ being both True God and True Man.
- Write two paragraphs explaining the Four Marks of the Church and why incorporating souls into His Body is essential to Christ’s salvific mission.
- Write two paragraphs explaining what a sacrament is, how they communicate grace, and how they relate to the virtues/virtuous life.
All sessions will be held at the Catholic Center (800 West Loop 820 South) on the following dates:
Part II Session Dates & Times:
- February 25, 2023 (9AM - Noon)
- June 10, 2023 (9AM - Noon)
The Holy Bible Revised Standard Version
2nd Edition; Ignatius Press (2006) San Francisco
Catechism of the Catholic Church
2nd Edition; USCCB (2002) Washington D.C.
St. Junipero Serra Institute
For a breakdown of other formation options offered by St. Junipero Serra Institute, please visit the Curriculum page.
The Diocese of Fort Worth is dedicated to a Safe Environment. We offer extensive and mandatory training for all employees and volunteers. Please contact the Safe Environment office if you need assistance or to report an abuse or concern.
Broken link or website issue?