English | Español
The office of Permanent Deacon Formation assists the Bishop with the formation of men, both married and single, for the diaconate. The formation for the diaconate is based on the National Directory for the Formation, Ministry, and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States as well as the Basic Norms for the Formation of Permanent Deacons. The Director along with the formation team provide and facilitate the human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral formation so they can be suitably equipped to respond to the needs of the local Church.
Formation of Aspirants
The intellectual formation of Aspirants takes place on Tuesday nights from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at Good Shepherd Parish in Colleyville. The human and spiritual formation is on the first Saturday of the month from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM at St. Peter the Apostle Parish in Fort Worth.
Formation of Candidates
The theological formation of Candidates takes place on the first and third Saturday of the month from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in Keller. Their human, spiritual and pastoral formation takes place once a month in their small human formation groups; they meet with their assigned deacon mentor and spiritual director. They are expected to serve in their practicum (parish/charity) for about three hours a week.
Required Documentation for Application
The Application for Admission to Aspirant Path of Formation (propaedeutic) is due on May 15, 2019. Required documentation for application, include:
- A church certificate of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Matrimony, if married, issued within the past six months.
- Proof of age: in accord with Canon Law, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has established the minimum age for ordination at thirty-five (35) years.
- A completed application form, and a consent form regarding authorization for psychological assessment.
- A recent photograph of the applicant and, if married, of his wife, for administrative and faculty identification.
- A personal written statement from the wife of a married applicant indicating her initial consent for his application to aspirant formation.
- Letters of recommendation from pastor and a deacon.
- A recent medical/physical assessment report.
- A copy of high school transcript or diploma; or college transcripts or diploma.
- A copy of Safe Environment certificate.
- Proof of legal residency in the diocese.
Please pray for our deacon candidates:
Diaconate daily prayer list
Juan Rendon, DMin
Director of Diaconal Formation
Rev. Joseph Keating
Director of Spiritual Formation for Deacon Candidates
Dcn. Rigoberto Leyva
Coordinator of Pastoral Field Formation
The Diocese of Fort Worth is dedicated to a Safe Environment. We offer extensive and mandatory training for all employees and volunteers. Please contact the Safe Environment office if you need assistance or to report an abuse or concern.
Broken link or website issue?