English | Español
The Office of the Permanent Diaconate assists the Bishop with the formation of men, both married and single, for the diaconate. The formation for the diaconate is based on the National Directory for the Formation, Ministry, and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States as well as the Basic Norms for the Formation of Permanent Deacons. The Director of Formation, along with the formation team, provide and facilitate the human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral formation so they can be suitably equipped to respond to the needs of the local Church.
Formation of Candidates (2019-2020)
The intellectual and pastoral dimensions of formation take place on the first and third Saturday of the month from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM at Good Shepherd Parish in Colleyville. The human and spiritual dimensions of formation take place once a month in their assigned prayer groups with their assigned deacon mentor. The candidates serve in their practicum (parish/charity) for about three hours a week.
Required Documentation for Application
The Application for Admission to Aspirant Path of Formation (propaedeutic) is due on April 1, 2020. Required documentation for application, include, but not limited to:
- A church certificate of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Matrimony, if married, issued within the past six months.
- Proof of age: in accord with Canon Law, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has established the minimum age for ordination at thirty-five (35) years.
- A completed Application Form, and a consent form regarding authorization for psychological assessment.
- A recent photograph (passport style) of the applicant and, if married, of his wife, for administrative and faculty identification.
- A personal written statement from the wife of a married applicant indicating her initial consent for his application to aspirant formation.
- Letters of recommendation from home parish pastor and a deacon.
- A recent medical/physical assessment report.
- A copy of high school transcript or diploma; or college transcripts or diploma.
- A copy of Safe Environment certificate.
- Proof of legal residency in the diocese.
Please pray for our deacon candidates:
Diaconate daily prayer list
Juan Rendon, DMin
Director of Diaconal Formation
Rev. Joseph Keating
Director of Spiritual Formation for Deacon Candidates
Dcn. Rigoberto Leyva
Coordinator of Pastoral Field Formation
Dcn. Scott France
Coordinator of Inquiry, Admissions and Aspirants
The Diocese of Fort Worth is dedicated to a Safe Environment. We offer extensive and mandatory training for all employees and volunteers. Please contact the Safe Environment office if you need assistance or to report an abuse or concern.
Broken link or website issue?