English | Español
The program consists of two levels: Level 1 (Basic Catechesis Formation) and Level 2 (Doctrinal Units).
The objective of the St. Francis De Sales Program is to prepare the catechist to be an effective witness and teacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. One of the main tenets of this program is to assist the catechist in forming and developing sound catechetical lesson plans that will draw the student toward a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. Throughout this program emphasis is placed on using sound resources such as Sacred Scripture, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Magisterial Catechetical documents. In the end, the catechist will come away with a sound catechetical foundation enabling him/her to transmit the Gospel with rigor and vigor.
Catechists are required to:
- Participate in all required sessions (9) to complete Level 1 of the Catechist Formation Program
- Complete two doctrinal lesson plans
- Participate in two Diocesan sponsored catechetical workshops, lectures or presentations
- Complete and submit multiple choice assessment exam. (optional)
Catechetical Credit Hours
There are a total of 9 sessions required to complete Level 1 (Basic Catechist Certification). The breakdown of credit hours is as follows:
- Each Session equals (3) credit hrs except for the last session which is valued at 6 credit hours
- (9) Sessions x (3) credit hours for a total of *30 credit hours
- Completion of two well-crafted doctrinal lesson plans is 20 credit hours.
- Participation in two approved Diocesan workshops, conferences, or lectures is **20 credit hours
- Total credit hours needed to complete Basic Catechist Certification is 70 credit hours.
*Session Nine counts for 6 credit hours
**Examples of Approved Diocesan Events: UD Ministry Conference, National Catechetical Conferences i.e. St. John Bosco Conference, NCCL, NCEA, etc.
- The Holy Bible
Revised Standard Version 2nd Edition; Ignatius Press (2006) San Francisco
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
2nd Edition; USCCB (2002) Washington D.C.
- Catechesis In Our Time
Pope John Paul II; Daughters of St. Paul (1979) New York
- General Directory for Catechesis
Congregation for the Clergy; Libreria Vaticana Editrice 1997
- The Mystery We Proclaim
2nd Edition; Msgr. Francis D. Kelly Our Sunday Visitor (2000)
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Craft of Catechesis
Morgan, Willey, De Cointet; Ignatius Press (2008) San Francisco
The fee to complete the program is $70.00 per catechist. Note: The fee does not cover books.
Parish Financial Assistance
All catechists should inquire with their Pastor or Director of Religious Education about tuition assistance to participate in the program.
Length of the Program
The average length of the program will be 2 years. Please note: students may be able to finish the program sooner depending on scheduling and availability of instructors, host sites, etc.
Broken link or website issue?