April - Child Abuse Prevention Month
April is national child abuse prevention month. Creating a safe environment for children and youth is a priority for Bishop Olson. He strongly encourages every parish, school, and apostolate to participate in highlighting the importance of protecting minors and reaching out to those who have been victims of sexual abuse.
Please participate with us throughout the month of April to highlight the diocese’s commitment to ensuring the safety of children and young people and providing pastoral outreach to victims and survivors of abuse.
Call to Prayer: April 13
Join the dioceses and eparchies across the United States in dedicating Friday, April 13th to prayer and sacrifice for the intention:
We pray that God may grant those affected by abuse in any way the courage to tell their story and seek healing.
National Blue Sunday: April 29
Blue Sunday Child Abuse Prevention is a project designed to raise awareness about child abuse, child sexual abuse and prevention. The Blue Sunday movement was founded in 1996, in Texas, as a non-profit organization working to promote prevention efforts in churches nationwide. The goal was to bring together Child Protection Services and faith communities to impact this issue.
Day of Prayer for Abused Children and Those Who Rescue Them!
- Create awareness on your parish and school social media networks (Flocknotes, MyParishApp ... ) about the importance of preventing child abuse and neglect.
- Schedule time throughout the month to say a Rosary for victims/survivors of abuse.
- Celebrate a Holy Hour for Healing for victims/survivors of abuse and reconciliation for the Church.
- Take time before or after Mass to recognize those who have both trained others in Safe Environment Programs and those who have been trained.
- Celebrate the Order for the Blessing of a Victim of Crime or Oppression. The blessing is intended to assist the victim and help him or her come to a state of tranquility and peace.
Logos & Posters
Below are some additional resources for parishes and schools to use in homilies, prayers or bulletin inserts to participate in Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Prayers of the Faithful
A Prayer for Healing
Ten Tips for Protecting Children and Offering Outreach to Victims/Survivors
We are called to help keep children safe
Hemos sido llamados a ayudar a los ninos a mantenerse seguros
Director of Safe Environment
Assistant Director of Safe Environment
Broken link or website issue?